Between celebrating America, throwing barbecues and watching fireworks, there’s much to love about the Fourth of July. For small business owners, the holiday is also an excellent opportunity to generate sales.
While 27 percent of Fourth of July shoppers plan to purchase patriotic merchandise, you don’t have to sell star-spangled products to capitalize on this major consumer holiday. Your audience is looking for July 4th-themed sales. In 2018, consumers planned to spend an average of $75.35 on the Fourth of July. Do you operate a local grocery store, run a catering service or sell food and drinks? It’s especially important for you to reach out to potential customers. Last year, Independence Day food sales were projected to hit a staggering $6.9 billion.
Make sure you’re ready for those shoppers with seasonal emails that capture their attention. Be part of their long weekend by celebrating with subject lines full of summer spirit. Check out 20 of our favorites for a spark of inspiration:
- Grilling Secrets from the Pros – 4th of July party menu | Fine Cooking
- O-oh say can you see, tons of awesome new gifts? | BoxLunch
- Cue the fireworks! (Hint: this sale ends today) | Gap Factory
- Go Fourth in Red, White, & Shoes | Sperry
- This is better than fireworks | J.Crew Factory
- Life, liberty, and the pursuit of savings! Shop our July 4th deals | eBay
- A 3-ingredient trifle you MUST make this weekend | Domino Sugar
- FireWork this 4th of July sale (while you still can) | Society6
- America’s Pastime on the 4th of July | SF Giants
- Happy B-day, America | Chubbies
- Baby UR a firework | Lime Crime Makeup
- Ready to fire up your July 4th? | Lumosity
- Flag this: $6 styles + EXTRA 50% off | LOFT
- 4th of July deals from $4 |Old Navy
- Celebrate your independence | Etsy
- Start your July 4th weekend with BUY MORE SAVE MORE | Pottery Barn
- 10 budget-friendly July 4 getaways | ShermansTravel
- Here’s to a Fun and Festive Fourth | Vudu
- What are you wearing for July 4th? One of these shirts, duh | Woot.com
- 6 Big-Batch Cocktail Recipes for the Fourth of July | Liquor.com
And for the grand finale
Before you head to those barbecues, have a look at these 20 examples you can customize for your business:
- Start the Fourth with a bang — check out these deals!
- Celebrate the red, white and YOU — treat yourself with these July 4th deals
- On America’s birthday, YOU get a gift — 40% off!
- The land of the (buy one, get one) free
- 7 quick recipes that will free up your time this 4th of July
- We saved our best sales for a free day
- Be independent: 3 things to do if you’re spending the 4th alone
- To grill or not to grill? 9 simple recipes to help you host without missing out on the fun
- Bring on the fireworks: This deal will have you fired up
- The biggest bang for your buck: 4th of July-inspired outfits, 50% off
- Create a spark with these new products
- Enjoy the long weekend without ending up short on cash
- By the dawn’s early light, these awesome sales are starting!
- The land of the free and the home of this sale: Don’t miss out
- Celebrate freedom with products that don’t depend on a large budget
- Show your pride by shopping all things red, white and blue!
- 4 deals that save time and money, so that you’re free to spend time with your people
- Miss Independen[ce Day]: The sale you need
- Our flaming-hot guide to the 4th of July will compete with your fireworks
- We salute you … for saving money with these 4th of July sales
No matter what you choose to say in your email campaign, keep it light, fun and relevant. Make your email a pleasant part of Independence Day that your subscribers enjoy reading as much as they enjoy a hot dog fresh off the grill.
Join 140,000 small business owners
Editor’s note: This article was first published in 2018 and has been revised and updated for 2019.
© 2019, Contributing Author. All rights reserved.